Thinking about investing in Opportunity Zones? Don’t do anything until you see this.
Opportunity Zones (OZs) were created as a result of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) of 2017 as an initiative to improve low-income and distressed communities all over the country. To incent business owners and real estate investors to do this, the government is offering a significant tax benefit — simply put, a reduction and a delay in taxes owed from the capital gains on the sale of a major asset.
And, while the tax benefits and potential cash flow are great for investors like you, Opportunity Zones have a positive social impact, too. Plagued by vacant buildings, distressed homes, and run-down empty lots, the local communities where you invest will benefit from the job creation, the beautification of these areas, and have more options for affordable housing… that you help to produce.
Clint Coons, one of the founding partners of Anderson Business Advisors and the leading real estate asset protection attorney in the country, breaks down everything you need to know before you consider adding Opportunity Zones to your real estate investing strategy. In this video, he tells you what it is, what you should and shouldn’t do, and how to get started.
By the end of the video, you’ll have learned:
- The three tax incentives that exist for real estate investors
- How to locate an Opportunity Zone in your state
- The dangers of investing in Opportunity Zones improperly
- The difference between using funds from stocks vs. real estate proceeds
- How to get cash into an OZ Fund that preserves the future tax-free sale
- The two categories of real estate as defined by OZ legislation
- What you need to know about the legislative property improvement requirements
- How to ensure you meet the “cash rule” for the qualifying asset test
- The issues with turnkey properties in Opportunity Zones
- How to avoid selling a positive cash flow property after the 10-year hold is up
- How to create and structure an Opportunity Zone Fund
- What you need to protect yourself from being audited by the IRS
- Commercial real estate investors beware… learn the issues
- The breakdown on triple net leases, multiple investments, and straddling the OZ
- The best way to get started with Opportunity Zone investing
Download Opportunity Zones ebook
If you’re looking for more information about Opportunity Zones, download our FREE “Opportunity Zones for Real Estate Investing” ebook. Already have the ebook? Schedule a free strategy session here to talk to an Advisor and learn how to incorporate Opportunity Zones into your investing strategy or get started creating your Opportunity Zone Fund now.